Contact Us

Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Intruder

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Gaining More Attention

It began with a fall into the corner of the table and a nasty lump and bruise on 3-year-old Kaitlin’s head.  As toddlers sometimes do, they get bumps and bruises. The swelling went down, but the spot was painful to the touch.

Soon thereafter, Kaitlin was experiencing the symptoms of flu.  Her mom and dad kept her home from preschool.

That night, the furnace in the basement died.  It was 12 degrees and the temperature was still dropping.  Not a great night for a furnace to quit.

Karen made a call to her father. Since her dad is in the construction business, he told her to call a furnace repairman that he had faith in.

The repairman told her to get a space heater for the night and to make the best of it. The next day, Karen’s dad followed up with a call. When he found out what the repairman said, he made the call himself and got someone to come over immediately.

The repairman didn’t take long to determine that a new furnace was needed. Since it was close to Christmas, Karen’s dad agreed to make it his Christmas gift to them.

It also didn’t take long for the repairman to determine the home had high levels of carbon monoxide.

That immediately explained why Kaitlin ran into the table. It also explained why Karen and Sam had frequent headaches and felt tired.

They took Kaitlin to the hospital where doctors determined that she had carbon monoxide poisoning, in addition to a mild concussion from her accident.

This is a true story that happened this week in Sioux Falls. The family is lucky and grateful to be alive. Carbon monoxide is nothing to take for granted.

With our cold temperatures, it doesn’t take long for a furnace to expose its weaknesses and quit. It also doesn’t take long for carbon monoxide to fill your home.

If you’re not sure, get a qualified repairman to come out and make an inspection and test for carbon monoxide levels in your home.

Also, invest in some quality carbon monoxide detectors. They can and will save your family’s lives, just as you rely on your smoke detectors. Carbon monoxide detectors should be present on every level of your home.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and when it enters your body it attaches to the hemoglobin in your blood and poisons your body. Symptoms include headaches, being tired, nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, problems with coordination, fainting and it can cause seizures.  It is a silent killer.

Make it a Christmas and New Year’s resolution to get a furnace inspection and up-to-date carbon monoxide detectors in your home.  Your family’s lives depend on it.

More Local News

Latest Entertainment News

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://mix97-3.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on Mix 97-3: Today's Best Mix of the 80s, 90s and Today quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on Mix 97-3: Today's Best Mix of the 80s, 90s and Today quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!