Are You Refrigerating This Stuff? Maybe You Don’t Need To
I don't know if I agree with all of these suggestions but a few of them seem common sense and will save me some space in the fridge. Take a look and see what you think.
- Avocados- -This is common sense, if you want a delicious ripe avocado. (Since I tend to buy them in packs of 5 or 6, I'll leave a couple out on the counter and refrigerate the rest as this stops the ripening process)
- Tomatoes- -Refrigerating your 'maters breaks down their cell walls and they turn mushy. Just leave them on the counter in a bowl.
- Bananas- -Much like avocados, you can refrigerate these to slow down the ripening process, but be aware the skin will turn a frightening brown color, even though the interior will be perfectly fine. Otherwise leave them out or on your banana hanger.(Tee hee!)
- Bread- -I know a lot of people refrigerate and freeze bread, but I use this as an absolute last resort. I hate bread out of the fridge and/or freezer! I am more likely to toss out a loaf that is still edible but slightly elderly, than put it in the fridge.
- Coffee- -I'll say right up front, that I always refrigerate coffee, always have, always will. I also freeze coffee beans. Conventional wisdom says you don't have to and that condensation can affect the flavor. Use your own judgement here
- Condiments- -Once again I always have refrigerated these, I mean it says to on their bottles. Right? But it is true that they always sit on the table of your favorite eatery, so perhaps I'll start doing the same.
For a complete list of items you can probably leave out of the fridge, click here.