Students at Axtell Park Middle School could have slept in a few extra minutes on Wednesday had they known Tuesday night that classes were going to start late the following morning.

A carbon monoxide leak in the building delayed the start of classes on Wednesday (September 6).

KDLT News is reporting that an Axtell employee began to feel ill shortly after reporting to work around 5 AM. The employee suspected there might be a carbon monoxide leak and notified Sioux Falls Fire Rescue. They arrived at the building and confirmed that indeed was the case.

According to KDLT News the leak originated from the boiler room in the building. Fire Rescue crews cleared out everyone that was in the school at the time, while they ventilated the entire building.

The incident did postpone the start of classes for a brief period of time.

Steven Brunette with Sioux Falls Fire Rescue told KDLT News, “Carbon monoxide in our experience with the fire services is produced by an incomplete combustion so furnaces, hot water heaters, stoves, and vehicles are good examples of that."

The situation could have been much worse had it not been for the alert Sioux Falls School District employee. Thanks to the employees immediate response in notifying Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, no one needed medical treatment as a result of the incident.

Source: KDLT News


See Also:

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Enter your email to receive the latest news, contests, concert announcements and more directly to your inbox!