First Date Tips for Women, From Men [LIST]
First dates, exciting and terrifying all at the same time. Maybe you've got one tonight. Wouldn't it be helpful if there was a 'playbook' for first dates, especially one written by the other side?
The relationship experts at Yahoo have come close. They surveyed single men and asked them, 'What do you wish women knew before going out on a first date?'. Here's what they said:
1) Be Decisive. Don't say stuff like "I don't know, what do you think?" or "It's up to you" constantly. That doesn't mean you have to make all the decisions, but you should definitely have some input. So if he gives you some options for where to go on your date, pick one. It saves you both from that awkward back and forth.
2) Handle the Bill Gracefully. When the bill comes, wait for him to make a move for it. When he does, reach for your purse/wallet and continue the payment process until he says "I've got it" (and then say "thanks" and drop it). If he doesn't say it, you'll have to split it. But don't say, "Can we split this?" or "I'd really like to split this" because he may think you actually mean it.
3) Wait for Him to Get in Touch Afterwards. Is it fair? No. But after the first date, resist the urge to text him letting him know how much fun you had, and let him come to you. If he had fun, he'll definitely get in touch. If he doesn't get in touch, then he didn't have fun. It's not like you're going to miss out on your future husband by letting him make the first move.
4) Dress for the Activity. You may think, "First date! I need to look amazing!" But if you wear a LBD to a laid-back pub or a movie, you're going to look out of place, which will make you uncomfortable...which will make him uncomfortable. Instead, dress for whatever it is you're doing. Guys have a word for women who can be easy-going and fit in anywhere, and still look good doing it: "Girlfriends."
5) Don't Have Sex. Well, you CAN have sex-but then don't expect it to turn into a relationship afterwards. That doesn't mean it won't, but it could lower your chances because he might think you're not looking for anything serious. Also, please don't tell any dudes that we told you not to have sex. They'll kill us.
6) Eat Like a Normal Person. If you order the half order of the garden salad and then eat half of that, he's not going to think you're hot and skinny. He's going to think you have weird food issues. Instead, eat like you normally would. Guys like it when women eat unselfconsciously and with pleasure. It signals that they may be that way in the bedroom, too.
7) Tell Him About Yourself. Don't just ask him questions all night. Tell him some funny stories, be (reasonably) open about yourself, and joke around. No matter how hot you look, what will really make him want to go out again is remembering how fun it was to sit and talk to you.
Any surprises there?