Forecast Timeline of This Week’s Winter Storm
We got a few nice January days in Sioux Falls, but it looks like we are back business with a new winter storm forecast to roll over the area Wednesday and Thursday (January 10,11).
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch for South Dakota east f the Missouri River, and extending into Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.
The latest forecast information says that SIoux Falls can expect periods of moderate to heavy snow and blowing snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches are possible. The snow and wind will combine to make travel difficult Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Just in time for your commute.
The fun is expected to start Wednesday. Wednesday's highs will be in the upper 30s, then the tem will drop into the single digits that night.
- 3:00 PM Wednesday: A wintry mix of precipitation should start falling in Sioux Falls late in the afternoon.
- 7:00-8:00 PM Wednesday: As the sun sets and the system moves in full force, that mix will change to all snow early in the evening. A northwest wind come up and be blowing that snow around.
- Expect travel to quickly become difficult Wednesday night. First slick streets, then low visibility as the snow takes over.
- Where to Find Sioux Falls Winter Weather and Travel Info
- 8:00 PM - 12:00 AM: Snow and wind in Sioux Falls, two or so inches accumulation.
- 12:00 AM - Sunrise Thursday: Winds increasing to 20 to 30 mph. Snow continues to fall in Sioux Falls, two or so more inches accumulation expected. Temperatures in the single digits, wind chills well below zero.
- Thursday Morning Commute: It'll probably be windy and snowing when you get up for work and school Thursday.
- Thursday: The snow is expected to stop falling mid-morning, with winds still blowing it around through noon. The sum should come out late in the day, but temperatures will struggle to get above five.
Plan ahead for Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Leave early and expect to arrive late. Park off-street Wednesday night and bundle up. If you have Thursday off: lucky you. Stay in and hide under blankets.