Healthier and Happier At Work
I recently read an article on Lifehacker.com addressing the issue of making your workspace healthier and happier. Some of the suggestions are simple and easily implemented:
- Keep healthy snacks on hand- office stress can suck the life outta you, so a handful of protein packed gorp (raisins, M&M’s, almonds), could give you an energy goose!
- Get a plant and keep it alive. Researchers aren’t sure why, but adding greenery to your cubicle is another thing that can help de-stress you.
Some of the other suggestions would be completely up to your employer and frankly I don’t think most of these would fly:
- Allowing “sleeping on the job”- -literally. Employee naps, according to some studies, make for more productive employees, who make much better decisions.
- Taking frequent breaks can bring clarity to an exacting work situation. (I can only guess the smokers in our building are facing arduous tasks every 15 minutes!)
- Pets in the office. Many studies have been done regarding the stress reducing attributes of having a four legged buddy in your life. But a new study indicates that a dog in the workplace can soothe your soul like crazy. If, you’re crazy about dogs, that is.
So in lieu of bringing your blankie and a pillow into your cube for a snooze, perhaps you should have some Greek yogurt and chat with your philodendron. There, don’t you feel better now?