Contact Us
Make My Homepage

How Many Calories Are in Your Thanksgiving Dinner?

Clipart
Clipart

According to the Calorie Control Council, the average American will consume more than 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving Day. Add that to the fact that studies show the average person gains 10 pounds during the holiday season, and well, you get the picture.

So rather than be a statistic, know the facts and arm yourself with information about what you’re eating, and how much of your favorite food will set you over the edge when you hop on the scale.

 

  • Bread Stuffing
Serving Size: 2 large spoonfuls (about 1 cup)
Calories = 350
Fat = 17 grams
About the same as eating: 1 chili cheese dog
Fun Fact: About 60 million boxes of Stove Top Stuffing are sold on Thanksgiving, according to Kraft foods.
  • Roast Turkey
Serving Size: 4 slices (3/8 inch thick)
Calories = 320
Fat = 12 grams
About the same as eating: 1 McDonald’s Grilled Honey Mustard Snack Wrap and Side Salad
Fun Fact: More than 45 million turkeys are cooked and eaten every year at Thanksgiving, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
  • Gravy
Serving Size: 3 small ladles-full (about 1/2 cup)
Calories = 100
Fat = 8 grams
About the same as eating: 4 heaping tablespoons of guacamole
Fun Fact: Fear of lumpy gravy is common. The two main reasons gravy gets lumpy can both happen during the thickening process: 1) adding flour directly to gravy and 2) adding liquid too quickly without proper whisking.
  • Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 2 large spoonfuls (about 1 cup)
Calories = 237
Fat = 9 grams
About the same as eating: 1 regular-size bag M&Ms
Fun Fact: The average American eats about 124 pounds of potatoes per year, according to the Idaho Potato Museum, while Germans eat about twice as much.
  • Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 2 large spoonfuls (about 1 cup)
Calories = 350
Fat = 17 grams
About the same as eating: 1 Regular Size Pizza
Fun Fact: Green Bean Casserole was created 50 years ago by Campbell’s. The famous soup company came up with the idea when it was making new recipes for its annual cookbook.
  • Cranberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Calories = 110
Fat = 0 grams
About the same as eating: 5 1/2 Dum Dum lollipops
Fun Fact: Only 5 percent of cranberries are sold fresh. The remaining 95 percent are turned into cranberry juice, cranberry sauce, and other cranberry products.
  • Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 2 large spoonfuls (about 1 cup)
Calories = 285
Fat = 7 grams
About the same as eating: 1 Chicken Alfredo meal from the Lean Cuisine Market Collection
Fun Fact: Sweet potatoes are the official vegetable of North Carolina.
  • Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Serving Size: 1 slice (1/8 of 9-inch pie)
Calories = 320
Fat = 14.5 grams
About the same as eating: 22 Mini Oreos
Fun Fact: According to the University of Illinois, 90 percent of the pumpkins grown in the United States are raised within a 90-mile radius of Peoria, Illinois. Most pumpkins are processed into canned pumpkin and canned pie mix. A processing plant in Morton, Illinois, (near Peoria) cans more than 85 percent of the world’s pumpkins each year.
(Source: Grandparents.com)

Best of Mix 97-3

Recommended for You

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://mix97-3.com using your original account information.

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Sign up for Mix VIP Club quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!

Sign up to have exclusive Mix VIP Club contests, events, coupons, presales, and much more delivered to you for FREE.