Now is Great Time to Register to Vote
Contrary to what our Facebook feed may make it seem like, participating in our American democracy is not like supporting your favorite sports team. It's not about picking sides and beating opponents.
It's about choosing the direction our country takes into the future. No matter what the cynics among us say, each citizen has power. That means we have to vote. It's a big deal that has a big effect. It's our right and responsibility.
To vote you need to be registered. Whether it's a big presidential election, the congressional midterms or your local city council, now is a great time to do it. If you are a first time voter, 18 years-old or older, or if you're new to South Dakota and need to update your stuff, here's what to do. Plus, it's always a good idea to double check your information and make sure you are still on the list.
Remember it is always free to vote and to register. No matter your name, the state you once lived in, your address or whatever.
WHAT TO DO:
It's a quick and easy process to register to vote in South Dakota. To register, change your address or party affiliation: you can print and fill out this form and take it to your county auditor at your county courthouse (In Sioux Falls it's the office in the same hall as where you renew your plates). There are also other places to register, see below.
- GO HERE: South Dakota Voter Information Portal - Check your voter registration, precinct and polling place information. You will also be able to see a sample ballot here when election are coming up.
The requirements to register in South Dakota:
- Be a United States citizen
- Reside in South Dakota (residency defined)
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system (See additional felony information)
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
Places you can go to register:
If you're not sure that you are registered to vote in South Dakota or need to know where your voting place is go to this page and find out.
If you or someone you know is in the military, here is some information about voting.