The wrap: This Week in Review
Here’s a few of the stories that had Sioux Falls and surrounding communities talking this week:
- Starting with a good note. This year’s Thanksgiving holiday weekend was the first in a decade where no traffic fatalities on South Dakota highways were reported. Thank you to all travelers exercising caution and courtesy on the roads on a very busy weekend.
- Powerball fever swept the country on Wednesday as lottery ticket buyers had a chance to win a record $587 million. The winning tickets were sold in Arizona and Missouri. However, 9 million tickets were sold with smaller amount winnings. in fact, a group of 14 Sioux Falls city employees matched 4 of 5 numbers plus the Powerball to win $10,000. nice!
- Great Bear Ski Valley is getting closer to opening. They are currently making snow so watch for updates soon. Something to do in the meantime? Great Bear will be hosting the Sioux Falls Ski Swap Saturday December 1st! 20% of all proceeds go to support the South Dakota Special Olympics Ski Team.
- It seems odd to write about snow skiing and golfing in the same article, but because of the mild weather conditions, I will. Elmwood Golf Course will be open for golfers this weekend. Why not? Book your tee time now.
- Former South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds announced his run Thursday for the U.S. Senate. Rounds, a 58-year-old Republican from Fort Pierre served 10 years in the South Dakota Senate before winning two terms as South Dakota governor.
- One person died and another was seriously injured in a two-vehicle car crash west of Howard, SD. Thursday evening. Officials say 39-year-old John Steinmetz of Howard was killed in the accident on Highway 34, about six miles west of Howard, shortly before 5:30 p.m.. He was not wearing a seatbelt. (KDLT-TV)
- You may have seen the Prairie Green Clubhouse “just playing through” the streets of Sioux Falls this week. It took a tremendous amount of planning, re-routing of traffic, and power line maintenance to accomplish this major move. The new home for the clubhouse will be Kuehn Park Golf Course.
- The average high temperatures for this time of year are in the low 30’s. This weekend will be much warmer than that. Fog in the morning hours through the weekend and mild conditions. Winds expected to pick up by the end of the weekend. Check out the 5-Day 1st Alert Weather Forecast and radar.
The Wrap is a great page to share with family and friends to keep them informed on Sioux Falls events on a weekly basis. It’s always free and won’t end up shredded in the snow blower chute in the driveway.