The Wrap: This Week in Review
- Christmas Day turned into a busy day for Sioux Falls Police responding to a few disturbances. In one case, a father and son got into a heated argument over a board game. An officer was bitten in the arm by one of the men in the process. No word on what board game was being played.
- In a separate incident, another father and son duo said they " were just horsing around" when they were stopped after multiple witnesses said they were waving a handgun at traffic.
- A round of new fallen snow arrived Thursday morning with multiple accidents reported throughout the day. A semi jack-knifed on westbound I-90 between Garretson and Brandon causing traffic delays. A Winter Weather Advisory was issued for a 24 hour period.
- The death of an 18-month old child in Sioux Falls is being investigated. Police responded to a call Monday morning to find find the toddler unresponsive. An autopsy has been conducted and investigators found the death to be "suspicious in nature". Manegabe Chebea Ally was arrested and charged with alternate counts of first-degree murder, second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter.
- There is plenty of talk about the "fiscal cliff" this weekend but there is another crisis looming. Lawmakers must either revamp or renew the current farm bill or milk prices could double within the next year. Washington will need to act now or an ancient farm law dating back to 1949 would take effect. Can you imagine $7 or $8 for a gallon of milk?
- Good news for those who like to ring in the new year with a bang. Fireworks are on sale now at local pyrotechnic dealers. This is the second year that South Dakotan's can legally buy them for the January 1st celebration. Keep in mind, the same laws as Independence Day apply here: Outside of city limits only.
- Not only did Earth survive the Mayan doomsday prophecy but now it appears we've dodged an asteroid as well. Somebody up there likes us. NASA has revealed that an asteroid feared to be on a collision course with the planet in 2040 now poses no threat at all. NASA said the asteroid should miss us by a mere 553,000 miles in 2040. Whew!
- This Weeks Dumb Criminal: The number 1 rule is don't eat yellow snow. The number 2 rule is never steal stuff from people's cars after a fresh snowfall. Rapid City police had an easy time catching one such car burglar earlier this week after following footprints from car to car on Christmas morning. The 16 year old was also charged for underage drinking.
- This Weeks Dumb Criminal #2: Oh, good. I'm not sure if impressing the ladies was his motivation but a man decided clothing was a bit too cumbersome and strolled naked through the downtown Holiday Inn on Friday afternoon. It was 14 degrees at the time of the incident. Really.
- The Viral Video of the Week had us smiling. This dad received a ticket to a championship game from his son and his reaction is, well, priceless.
The Wrap is a great way to share news and events in Sioux Falls with friends and family. It's always free and won't end up in the snow blower at the end of the driveway.