The Wrap: This Week In Review
Here’s a few of the stories that had Sioux Falls talking this week:
- Monday morning proved to be a troublesome time for commuters due to heavy fog and slippery road conditions. A chain-reaction accident occurred on highway 11 after an initial two-car accident. Six more cars, who were unable to stop in time, collided with them. Miraculously, there were no injuries.
- Sioux Falls schools were not in session Thursday as an Arctic blast settled in and created dangerous wind chills across the region. Morning temperatures were holding around -7 F. and the wind chills between -30 and -40 kept students home. Much warmer temperatures for this weekend and next week looks to be quite mild.
- Caught blue-handed: Up to 6 houses and 10 cars were victims of graffiti this week in Sioux Falls. Three teenagers were chased down by police and had a hard time convincing officers they were innocent as they had blue hands from spray paint.
- The 1968 Class B state boys basketball championship winners were on-hand, 45 years later, to talk about the memories and wish the 2013 Arlington Cardinals the best of luck for the remaining boys basketball season. Now that’s awesome!
- A Sioux Falls man has stepped forward to claim his $20,000 he won on a Dakota Cash ticket. The odds were not with Douglas Spelhaug at 325,000 – 1, but matched the 5 winning numbers anyway. Estimated jackpot for Saturday nights (February 2nd) drawing sits at $22,000.
- Bravo network’s “Top Chef:Just Desserts” season 2 winner, Chris Hanmer, will open a pastry shop on Phillips Avenue in Sioux Falls this spring. His wife, Caryn, is from Sioux Falls. They will also offer pastry classes.
- There have been no major renovations to the Empire Mall since they opened their doors in 1975… until now. The new look should be ready to welcome shoppers for the 2013 holiday shopping season. Mayor Mike Huether:
We’ve been waiting a long, long time for this”
This Week’s Viral Video: Now that’s South Dakota cold!
Subscribe to KMXC-FM / Mix 97-3 on
The Wrap is always free to share and the perfect companion to that weekend morning cup of coffee. Well, along with Kahlua…