Top 10 Consumer Complaints
Late fees, Internet scams and cars that are lemons are all on the Top 10 Consumer Complaints list.
The Consumer Federation of America has released a list from a survey of 38 consumer agencies that chronicles the kinds of complaints they received in 2011. The consumer group received nearly 290,000 complaints and recovered or saved consumers almost $147 million. Here are the Top 10 Complaints:
1. Auto: Misrepresentations in advertising or sales of new and used cars, lemons, faulty repairs, leasing and towing disputes .
2. Credit/Debt: Billing and fee disputes, mortgage modifications and mortgage-related fraud, credit repair, debt relief services, predatory lending, illegal or abusive debt collections tactics.
3. Home Improvement/Construction: Shoddy work, failure to start or complete a job.
4. Retail Sales:False advertising and other deceptive practices, defective merchandise, problems with rebates, coupons, gift cards and gift certificates, failure to deliver.
5. Utilities:Service problems or billing disputes with phone, cable, satellite, Internet, electric and gas service.
6. Services: Misrepresentations, shoddy work, failure to have required licenses, failure to perform.
7. Internet Sales and Landlord/Tenant:Unhealthy or unsafe conditions, failure to make repairs or provide promised amenities, deposit and rent disputes, illegal eviction tactics. There was also an increase in the number of tenants complaining that their apartments were infested with bedbugs.
8. Fraud: Bogus sweepstakes and lotteries, work-at-home schemes, grant offers, fake check scams, the "grandparent" scam and other common frauds.
9. Real Estate: Timeshare sales and resales, retirement communities and assisted living facilities, real estate fraud.
10. Household Goods and Home Solicitations: Misrepresentations, failure to deliver, faulty repairs in connection with furniture or appliances