Second Mitchell Shooting Report ‘Unfounded’
A Thursday afternoon call to Mitchell police regarding a possible home invasion and report of shots fired was apparently unfounded. Public Safety Chief Lyndon Overweg says officers quickly responded to the home at 705 West Second Avenue around 2:30 p.m.
"It appears that there may have been a medical condition with the person reporting this call. There was nothing found inside the house. There was no evidence of any crime. The neighborhood is safe."
Overweg told the Daily Republic that officers responded within seconds of the call.
It took nearly three hours of investigation and two emergency response teams — one made up of officers with the Mitchell Police Division and another of troopers with the South Dakota Highway Patrol — to clear both levels of the home, but Overweg said it has been determined that no one was inside the home when authorities responded, no shots were fired and no crime was committed.
Earlier in the day, 26-year-old TJ Stuckey died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound when authorities responded to a report of domestic violence. A female victim suffered minor injuries.